04 Oct

Posted by 11 comments

Arroz con leche (/a-RRoh-z con LAY-chay/) is translated as rice with milk. And it is nothing more than that: rice is cooked in milk aromatized with some cinnamon and citrus peel and it slowly thickens to end up like a pudding texture dessert.

Here I am, back again to this space, to school, to cooking :-) I also want to make this blog a bit more personal. Let’s see if I am able to reach a nice personal style.

It been ages since I had not eaten a good arroz con leche. It was a dessert my mother used to cook quite often when I was young. I remember mainly going into the kitchen, open the fridge, spot it and take a couple of spoonfuls. I think homemade desserts are the best and this year I want to remember them all. Actually, I want to go back to them and cook them. At home maybe there was not a huge variety, but enough to enjoy some afterdinners every week.

My mother makes a very dense arroz con leche. As always, it is a very home-specific dessert to make: some people like it more liquid, some others denser. I decided to follow my mom’s guidelines this case.

Arroz con leche

Recipe for 6 servings

5 cups of milk (I did 4 of milk and 1 of water, as I was using whole milk… My mother would have used all whole milk, but I guess it’s a question of experimenting with less fatter milks too).

6 tbsp of rice, arborio or similar varieties are the best for this.

10 tbsp of sugar

1, 5 tbsp of ground cinnamon

1 cinnamon stick

1 small orange / lemon peel

Directions

1. Put all the ingredients together in a heavy bottomed pan.

2. Cook them at medium heat, be patient and don’t stop stirring the mix. It is important because otherwise milk will be ruined, burnt and therefore your arroz con leche.

It takes a little bit more than 1 hour, but tt’s worth the pacience investment ;-)

3. As soon as rice is cooked and milk dense to your taste, remove the cinnamon stick and the citrus peel.

4. Pour the arroz con leche wherever are going to be served. Let them cool down and store them in the fridge.

Eat them cold! Sprinkle ground cinnamon to your taste and enjoy it!

¡Hasta luego!

Categories: Dulce, Sweets
  1. October 5th, 2013 at 10:09 | #1

Estoy segura de que le vas a dar ese toque personal a la tortilla, pero bueno, sí echas un vistazo a un blog llamado Cocina a tiempo parcial, ¡¡tú también estarás convencida!!

A mí también me gusta la versión densita, no muy líquida y desarmada. Aunque no soy mucho de arroz con leche, pero al taster le chifla, así que siempre le pico un poco. Y cuando salgo de España y los veo en el super de tantos sabores, lo mismo, acabo catando :P

Me chifla lo que has hecho con la primera foto, ¡¡un día me enseñas!!

Un beso!!!!!

PD: Sí, te estás riendo, yo también sé que nunca aprenderá ni enseñada por ti ni por nadie, pero eso que se dice :P

2. Sally
    October 10th, 2013 at 21:51 | #2

6 tablespoons of rice and 5 cups of milk? Are you sure?

I love arroz con leche but surely these measurements are wrong?

3. October 22nd, 2013 at 22:58 | #3

Mmm this looks so perfect. I could eat arroz con leche all day. My mom would make this all the time — and I’d eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Her recipe is different but I can’t wait to try this one!

4. Ana
    November 14th, 2013 at 11:47 | #4

@Paula
    Qué maja eres y qué ánimos me das :-D

Sí que hay muchos sabores, eso me sorprendió mucho cuando estuve en Ingleterra. Pasé un par de meses (o semanas quizás jajaja) probando sabores de müller http://www.mullerdairy.co.uk/our-products/muller-rice/range el de maple no estaba por entonces y el de banana y toffee tampoco me suena o quizás era demasiado para mí, pero había uno de solo toffee ;-)

Lo de la primera foto es muy fácil de hacer, me da vergüenza escribirlo jajaja Como lo vea alguno de mis profesores lo mismo me llevo una colleja xD

¡¡Un beso!!!

P.S.: Y no digas tontadas, anda :-P

@Sally
    It sounds weird, right? Well, I tried it myself. It worked. I really thought my mom was nuts. It turned out she wasn’t :-D

(But milk has to thicken very slowly, patience is the trick)

@Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron
    Thanks!! Arroz con leche is such a nice comfort food of mine…
    How is your mom’s arroz con leche recipe? I am curious :-)

5. March 13th, 2014 at 18:59 | #5

This is my first time go to see at here and i am actually impressed to read everthing at alone place.

6. April 2nd, 2014 at 04:47 | #6

{You will accordingly choose rugs, lamps, colors and furniture
    that match your intended impression|Someone
    would have to really look for this to notice|Paul wrote this article using his extensive knowledge in interior design|You must note that the theme must be
    kept consistently throughout the room|For one, you don’t have to
    go to a newsstand to buy your copy of a magazine|Generally speaking, you don’t have to
    be a professional audiophile if you want to improve your speakers system|All these point to
    the growing popularity of digital content|Accent furniture, which might not be a huge sofa or a big commitment, is usually more along the lines
    of bookshelves, console tables, side tables, entertainment stands, ottomans|”

7. April 2nd, 2014 at 23:09 | #7

Aw, this was an extremely nice post. Taking the time and actual effort to create a top notch
    article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lot and
    don’t manage to get nearly anything done.

8. April 12th, 2014 at 07:38 | #8

This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post.
    Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!

9. April 16th, 2014 at 13:01 | #9

Mi piace molto quando le persone si riuniscono e condividere pensieri .
    Ottimo sito , continuate così !

10. April 18th, 2014 at 11:39 | #10

Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity to your publish is just spectacular and i can assume you are knowledgeable on this subject.
    Well with your permission let me to snatch your RSS feed to keep
    updated with approaching post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

1. October 9th, 2013 at 11:02 | #1

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.